*source http://www.geert-hofstede.com/
Uncertainty Avoidance (UAI) is another category where the French stand in great contrast with the U.S. This is a population that is sans doute "set in their ways." The business attitude is very formal with lots of rules and regulations, and this also carries over into daily life. Just take a look at their rules for greeting one another...first of all, it's considered rude not to address someone "Bonjour/Au revoir, Madame/Monsieur" when you enter or exit a small store, and then there is the whole tu/vous distinction. Even differences in appearance among one another are avoided. This can be exemplified in clothing trends...everyone wears mostly black. I've actually heard that wearing really bright colors is considered offensive? I guess we'll see about that when Spring comes.
Individualism (IDV) refers to the strength of ties of people to the rest of the community. This means a high IDV score indicates there is not a strong sense of connection among the community. France scores higher in Individualism than the rest of Europe, but still lower than the U.S. This was a little surprising to me. However, I think my experience has been skewed by the fact that I lived in a small, southern town in the U.S. and one of the biggest cities in the world here in France. I am used to smiling and greeting almost everyone I cross paths with at home. Here that is simply just not done. On the other hand, there is a strong sense of respect for one another among french natives.
The last dimension, and the one I have the least knowledge about, is Power/Distance (PDI). France scored higher in this index than the U.S. and other European countries, suggesting that the culture accepts the unequal division of power in the workplace. I haven't really had the opportunity to witness this firsthand but I'm wondering if this may have something to do with their tendency to avoid conflict (UAI)? Will try to find the answer...
The last dimension, and the one I have the least knowledge about, is Power/Distance (PDI). France scored higher in this index than the U.S. and other European countries, suggesting that the culture accepts the unequal division of power in the workplace. I haven't really had the opportunity to witness this firsthand but I'm wondering if this may have something to do with their tendency to avoid conflict (UAI)? Will try to find the answer...



interesting comments - and questions - about the connection between conflict avoidance and power distance...
ReplyDelete